Friday, April 18, 2008

Thrift Store Goddess/Shopping that changes lives.


Ty Wilson is one of my favorite artist. His work is beautiful. He has captured the look that I have down deep in my artist heart. This image is the one I will call Thrift Store Goddess.
The media keeps telling us that retail shopping is down. Our budgets are challenged by so many things . I have always been a Thrift Store Goddess. I call it rescuing. I love to rescue previously enjoyed items and restore them to well loved treasures.
My favorite thrift shop is Good Will. They price by item. All skirts, blouses, jackets are the same price.Each week they have a special sale on a category and a selected color of tag.
It's a great way to save and you know that your purchase is going to help train people who are employment challenged. I love feeling that my purchase is a donation to Good Will.
I got a ticket for running a red light. I worked off my fine by doing community service for The American Cancer Society's Discovery Shops.
These stores are a higher quality than most thrift stores and you can find wonderful designer labels for pennies on the dollar.
I made a life long friend in the manager of the shop where I worked. Monica was the manager of the Beverly Hills store. ( Sadly it has closed due to rent increases that were too high)
Monica is a beautiful woman,a vibrant blond bombshell even at 60 something.She taught me so much. She is a force of nature.
Monica used her knowledge of retail to create an elegant store.It was a beautiful boutique filled with amazing collectibles.You sure would not call this a thrift store. It looked like a fine shop on Rodeo Drive.
She built relationships with donors. We had items that would knock your socks off.
Designer resale clothing,fine china and crystal,vintage art work,new clothing from high end designers,home decor items,furniture, and jewelry.
I saw a home that had been furnished entirely from Discovery Shops. It looked like pages from Architectural Digest!!!
Her own family had been devastated by this disease and she tirelessly raised money to find a cure.
Monica and her darling boy friend Lloyd(classically dashing good looks)have moved to Northern California to live on her family's farm. I miss her and love her. I look forward to visiting her soon for treasure hunting up north.
Find a Discovery Shop near you and know that your next purchase will support finding a cure to cancer.
Let your next purchase change a life. Donate what you don't use and till we meet again may the thrift store goddess be with you.

2 comments:

Brown Bee Studio said...

Lilli, that ad is FANTABULOUS! My goal for this weekend is to complete another pin keep, and to weed out more of my fabric stash via Freecycle. =0] I'm sure there's someone out there who is in NEED of fabric for more important things than 'when I get around to it I'll make....'! Thank you so much for your sweet comments too...I smiled out loud when I read it...lol

Miniature Patisserie Chef said...

Hi Lilli,

Your blog has improved each time I come here. You are doing an amazing as a newcomer to technology :) Especially when you are mostly self-taught and researching alot of topics. I'm so looking forward to see your LPB set up!

Pei Li